Camp Counselors Canada

The Adventure
The Details

The Adventure


What is Camp Counselors Canada

Experience Canadian culture while working at a Canadian summer camp for 8-10+ weeks during the North American summer. Work as a General Counselor, Activity Counselor, or Support Staff.  Earn money, receive free room and board, and gain valuable experience working with children.  Form close friendships and share your culture with campers/staff from around the world. Summer camp is demanding as you will be caring for children around the clock, but the rewards are endless. The job requires you to:
  • Be an ambassador for your country
  • Be a role model to campers and peers
  • Use creative ways to keep campers engaged and excited
  • Be outgoing and eager to share your interests
  • Provide a safe and fun environment for campers
CCUSA is here to help you every step of the way! With almost 40 years of experience, you will receive the highest level of personal service and support.

Camp Roles

When looking to go on the program, you can select between two different roles:  Camp Counselor or Support Staff


Counselors will either live in a cabin or platform tent with a co-counselor and 8-12 campers or in separate staff housing. Sometimes cabins have their own bathroom, but it is common for several cabins to share a large centralized bath and shower facility.


Staff and campers eat in what is typically called the “Dining Hall”. Depending on your camp, you get food from a “buffet” or served “family style” (with platters of food brought to your table). The dining hall is a fun and lively part of camp with lots of talking, chants, and singing.

Typical Day

You will fill the role of an Activity Counselor or General Counselor depending on your skill level and experience. In either role, you will lead or assist campers of all ages in one or more activities.


Participants are expected to work a minimum of 8-10 weeks, with opportunities for longer experiences. You will get an average of 1 day off per week, with schedules varying by individual camps.

Camp Counselor

As a leader, role model, friend, instructor, cheerleader and hero to campers of various ages, your primary responsibility is overall supervision. The primary role of a Camp Counselor is to ensure the safety and well-being of the campers. The secondary role is to make the camp experience fun! During the application and interview process, your skills and experience will be assessed to determine whether you can be hired as a General Counselor or Activity Counselor.


Support Staff generally share their own housing (cabins, dormitories, or platform tents) with co-workers and do not share cabins with children. During time off, Support Staff can use camp facilities to relax, exercise, and learn new skills.


The dining hall is the heart of camp and it takes a large number of kitchen staff to prepare meals and serve campers. Support Staff are strongly encouraged to get involved with the chants and singing. There is never a dull moment in the dining hall.

Typical Day

Support Staff work up to 10 hours per day and no more than 60 hours per week. Depending on your specific position, you may be given time-off during various times throughout the day and at least one day off per week. Your camp will encourage you to get involved with camp activities during your free time.


Support Staff are expected to work a minimum of 8 weeks. During this time, you will get an average of 1 day off per week, though schedules vary by camp.

Support Staff

Are you interested in the summer camp experience but prefer a position outside of working directly with campers? Support Staff keep camp running smoothly and efficiently. Your job will range from preparing meals and cleaning the kitchen, to office work, maintenance, or grounds work. Support Staff fill key roles at camp and receive higher pocket money.


You don’t need to be an olympic athlete to teach activities. The skills and knowledge you already possess from practicing in a team or playing socially are enough to prepare you for camp. Below is a list of skills directors are looking for:

Camp Counselor Skills

  • American Football
  • Archery
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Fencing
  • Field Hockey
  • Fitness Instructor
  • Football/Soccer
  • Golf
  • Gymnastics
  • Lacrosse
  • Martial Arts
  • Roller Hockey
  • Rugby
  • Skateboarding
  • Softball
  • Tennis
  • Volleyball
  • Yoga
  • Boat Driving
  • Canoeing
  • Diving
  • Fishing
  • Kayaking
  • Kneeboarding
  • Lifeguard (Surf and/or Pool)
  • Sailing
  • Scuba Diving
  • Surfing
  • Swimming
  • Wakeboarding
  • Waterskiing
  • Whitewater Kayaking
  • Whitewater Rafting
  • Windsurfing
  • Batiking
  • Cartooning
  • Ceramics/Pottery
  • Graphic Arts
  • Jewelry Making
  • Leather Work
  • Nature Craft
  • Painting
  • Photography (Film/Digital)
  • Rocketry
  • Screen Printing
  • Sculpture
  • Stained Glass
  • Tie-dyeing
  • Woodworking
  • Ballet/Dance
  • Campfire Singing and Performing
  • Choreography
  • Circus
  • Costume/Set Design
  • Drama
  • Guitar
  • Magic
  • Music
  • Piano Radio Amateurs
  • Singing
  • Theater/Stage Manager
  • Video Production
  • Abseiling/Rappelling
  • Backpacking
  • Camping/Hiking
  • Farm Animal Care
  • Farming
  • Go-carts
  • Horseback Riding (Western/English)
  • Low/High Ropes
  • Mountain Biking
  • Orienteering
  • Outdoor Cooking
  • Riflery
  • Rock Climbing
  • Scouting

Support Staff Skills

  • General Cleaner
  • Housekeeper
  • Janitor/Sanitation
  • Laundry
  • Building Repairs
  • Driver
  • Grounds Work
  • Handyman
  • Mowing Lawns
  • Night Watchman
  • Painting
  • Rubbish/Garbage Removal
  • Stable Work
  • Chef/Assistant Chef
  • Dishwashing
  • Food Server
  • Waiter/Waitress
  • Accounting
  • Camp Store/Canteen
  • Computers
  • Data Entry
  • Filing
  • Shorthand
  • Telephone
  • Word Processing / Data Entry / Computers

Note: These positions are only available to native English speakers.

Camp Types

We partner with the best camps in Canada. There is a camp type for every child, no matter their interest, abilities, or background. Our application requires you to choose at least four different camp types to work at. Below is a list and description of the general types. All share the same common goal, to provide a safe, fun, and rewarding experience for every camper.


Traditional Camps

Includes both privately owned and agency (such as the YMCA, JCC or 4-H) camps. Camper population is either co-ed or single-gender. Program is traditional and offers a wide range of activities for campers.


Specialty Camps

Focus on one specific area such as performing arts, gymnastics, horseback riding, etc. Programs are designed to teach and develop skills in a specialized area. Often require highly specialized staff.


Girl Guide Camps

Camps based on the traditional philosophies of the Girl Guides. Pogramming includes Outdoor Adventure, Arts & Crafts, Waterfront and Climbing. Facilities and accommodations are typically more rustic and embrace living in the outdoors. Scouting or Girl Guide experience is not required.


Underprivileged / Inner-city Camps

Run by charitable organizations or government agencies. Help give urban campers their first rural experience living and playing in the outdoors. Focused on serving low-income families.


Special Needs Camps

Serve children and/or adult campers who have physical and/or developmental disabilities. No previous experience is necessary. Full training is provided by the camp. Counselors lead campers in traditional camp activities adapted to meet their needs and assist with daily living tasks such as eating, dressing, and showering.


Campers with Specific Requirements

Serve children and/or adult campers with specific medical conditions such as emotional disorders, learning disabilities, diabetes, terminal illness, hearing/sight impairment and weight control. Offer traditional camp activities geared to meet the needs of the specific camper population. No previous experience is necessary.


Religious Camps

Serve campers from a Christian or Jewish background. Offer traditional camp activities while incorporating religious values. Not all religious camps require their staff to be religious.

The Details


To participate on the Camp Counselors Canada program, you must meet the following requirements:

CCUSA Benefits

The benefits of going with CCUSA are endless, but here are just a few highlights.

Confirmed Placement

CCUSA works hard to find just the right camp placement for your unique personality and skill set. During your interview, we will get to know you and help you understand the camp experience.

Up to 10 Weeks Insurance Coverage

Included with your program is up to ten weeks of insurance coverage. If your placement and arrival orientation is longer than 10 weeks, you are responsible for paying the additional cost of insurance coverage over 10 weeks, which must be done prior to departure.

Room and Board

All participants receive room and board for the full duration of their camp placement.

Work Permit and Visa

Participants will need to obtain either a camp counselor work permit or the IEC Working Holiday. We help you decide which is best for you and assist you every step of the way.

Canadian Social Insurance Number

Upon arrival in Canada all participants will receive instructions on how to obtain a Social Insurance Number that will allow you to work legally in Canada.

24 Hour Emergency Support

CCUSA provides you with exceptional service. We are always just a phone call away 24/7 if an emergency occurs during your stay in Canada.

Simple Application Process

We provide a step-by-step on-line application process that is easy to follow and understand. Follow the link to Apply Now.

Be a Part of a Unique Canadian Community

Canadian camps provide the ideal environment for developing lasting friendships with people from around the world. Camps work hard to create strong communities, especially among past staff.

Cultural Exchange

You will be an ambassador for your country and make lifelong friends from around the world.

Pocket Money

Pocket money varies according to your position, but you can expect to earn the following amounts during an 8-10 week contract.

If a camp hires you for longer than 10 weeks, you will be paid additional pocket money.

Please note, camps will deduct taxes from your pay. You may file a tax return beginning in March the following year, and you may not receive all the taxes you paid back.

Pocket money listed is in Canadian dollars.

Camp Counselors
Support Staff

Fees and Costs

Total fees


*Apply now for the best pricing.  For more information contact your local office.


Additional Costs

Please note there are additional costs to consider as part of the program. These amounts are paid directly to the third party listed (not paid to CCUSA):

  • Police background check
  • Physician’s completed Health History Form
  • Biometrics
  • Work permit fee (placements at charitable/religious camps may be exempt)


The Application Process

Simple steps to get you on your way.

Step 1
Follow the link below to begin an online application.
Step 2
A CCUSA team member will contact you to schedule your interview and assist you with additional documentation and/or questions. If you are not accepted on the program, you will receive a refund, less a small administrative fee.
Step 3
Submit your completed online application to CCUSA and make full payment on-line. You also need to submit:
  • 1 passport photograph
  • 2 CCUSA references
  • A short introductory video

Placement, Permits and Visas


Once your application is sent to the head office, Camp Directors will start reviewing your application immediately.  Your local CCUSA office will contact you once you have a confirmed placement at a camp.   

Work Permit and Visa Requirements

Participants will be required to obtain a work permit. You are responsible for all associated costs for the work permit (up to $250 CAD, subject to change). You will have the opportunity to use immigration services obtained by your camp, or CCUSA’s preferred provider depending on where you are placed. More information will be provided after your placement is confirmed. Many nationalities are eligible for the Working Holiday Permit which allows you to work at camp and continue to work for up to 24 months in Canada.